2013 was a pretty good year. Here are some things I did:
- Started blogging
- Experienced the death of a startup and saw the birth of a new one
- Interviewed a bunch of companies and got a new job
- Learned all sorts of new languages and frameworks: Ruby, Scala, Node.js, Angular.js, d3.js
- Learned about a variety of topics, including financial markets, cryptography, and macroeconomics
- Completed a Coursera class
- Made the front page of Hacker News by being dumb
- Made my first open source contribution
- Started doing freelance work
- Bought some bitcoin and dogecoin (wow)
- Went to 5 concerts
Goals for 2014
- Finish side projects. I have way too many side projects where I work on intensely for a few days and then stop.
- Do more open source work. Contribute to bigger projects.
- Write more blog posts. I'm at 1-2 per month now, and want to increase this to 4.
- Hit 50k pageviews for the year. In 2013 I was just under 10k, but I started in May.
- Attend a Python conference. I've been to meetups but no big ones yet.
- Read a book a month. I read maybe 5 books in 2013.
- Learn some new things. Complete 2 more Coursera classes.
These are all realistic goals and I'm hoping to complete all of them. Have a good 2014 everyone.